As a last method to find keywords, you can use simple tricks like making variations of keywords you have already found, and you can also make use of keyword tools. Don't make the error of just starting with keyword tools, you really need to do step 1 and 2 to have the right foundations as input to the keyword tools. Let's have a look:
- Word combinations (Don't forget about long tail - users are today using 2-3-4 word search terms - so you should also do that)
Keyword suggestion programs
Getting fresh ideas is possible by using keyword suggestion programs. Many of those will provide you also interesting information such as the number of serach operations in Google or other search engine with those keywords.
- Google Adwords keyword tool . First create an account for google adwords: https://adwords.google.com
Select tab "Tools and Analysis" -> "Keyword Planner"
- Übersuggest keyword tool - https://ubersuggest.org/
- Wordstream keyword tool - https://www.wordstream.com/keywords
Google Adwords keyword planner tool
- Go, on https://adwords.google.com/ to the tab “Tools and Analysis” -> Keyword Planner -> search for new keyword and ad groups ideas.
- Enter your search term.
- Don’t forget to set the “Targetting” to the region you want information about (you can activate countries, provinces, languages,....).
- Look into keyword options if you wish to see “ideas closely related to my search terms” or not.
- Then hit the “get idea” button...
- You can for example start broad and then get specific: Use the Keyword planner tool to experiment with broad keywords, and then you can try more specific keywords.
- You get an idea about the marketing cost: Competion High/Medium/Low. You will also get an idea about the monthly search volume on this keyword and seasonal trends (hover on top of the "graph" icon in the statistics table).
- Combinations with a “buy” keyword added give you an idea if people are searching to buy this item. Hover on the mini graph symbol to get seasonal variation on the search volume. Below graph on "flowers" has a peak in february: Valentines day...
This tool will provide for each keyword all Google suggestions. An extended list keyword suggestions, sorted alphabetically is provided.
This tool is handy to figure out which keyword and combinations of keywords do exist.
- Enter the search term and select the right language. You will get a result overview., sorted alphabetically
- You can select combinations of keywords by clicking “+”
- On the right side you find back a summary list. Clicking “GET” will provide you with an overview of all combinations useful for SEO or writing a banner pub
- Wordstream, a company specialising in SEA and SEA, offers also some free keyword tools:
- Free keyword tool: Keyword suggestions from a constantly updated database
- Free keyword niche finder: Provides structured keyword suggestions
- Free keword grouper: Provides keyword groupping assistance. Drop in a list of kewyords and get back an organized keyword structure
- Negative keyword tool: Identify keywords that can burn your budget in paid campaigns